If you are the mother or the father of a child and you were never married to that child’s other parent; you need a Court order to establish your rights as a parent. Just because dad’s name is on the birth certificate does not legally establish his rights or responsibilities as a parent. For your own protection and that of your child, be you the child’s mother or father, it is absolutely necessary for that child’s custody and support to be established. Even though you may be living together, a paternity order will protect the child should one of you die.

Leave a Reply